Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Now I See.....

Interestingly enough, I had never connected online learning with correspondence courses or educational television programming. After reading through the history and the slow evolution of distance learning, I am reminded of matchbook advertisements for education, through the mail that we all considered a joke. I am also reminded of having to watch “George Pierrot” and make reports about his world travels. I never considered this was my teacher’s way of bringing other cultures and foreign lands into our classroom and inspiring our interest in the world around us. 

A few weeks ago, a reality series housewife lampooned a psychologist by suggesting he had earned his degree online! My feelings were, “and if he did!” I was defensive because I know that older adults, not in a profession where continuing education is required, still believe online learning is a joke. Clark (2006, Clark in press) describes public attitudes towards distance education as one of the perennial issues remaining in K-12 and online learning today. There are still lasting concerns about the academic effectiveness of distance education regardless of studies that show no significant differences in student outcome. I see myself and my classmates in this distance learning path proving them wrong every day!


A new report by PETAP, LLC (www.petap.org) demonstrates a significant shift in the way teachers and school administrators feel about online programs. The report states that in 2011, 67% of academic professionals polled were of the opinion that online classes can be equally as effective as face-to-face classes as opposed to only 50% in 2003. More important, many of these educators teach curriculums that are not conducive to online studies such as chemistry and art.  Students of business administration, on the other hand, lend themselves to the platform of online education because of how crucial online interaction is in today's business world.

Reference

  PETAP, llc; latest statistics reveal interesting shift in online education trends. (2012). Computers, Networks & Communications, , 465. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/docview/921446727?accountid=8418 #vsmoos12

No comments:

Post a Comment